Wednesday, November 16, 2011

QEMU - VNC - Stupid keyboard issue

So, I ran across an issue that was rather frustrating. Here is the background.

I had installed a plain-vanilla debian machine and then installed libvirt, kvm/qemu and virt-manager (with some other packages but those aren't important).

I had tried to do X11 forwarding on the machine but ran into an issue when trying to use virt-manager to install a guest machine. When ever I would type it would print something other than what I pressed. asdf = abfh.

This wasn't just an issue with X11 forwarding. I also installed tightvncserver and found the same issue. When I would vnc to the Host machine everything would be fine, but when I tried to do an installation through virt-manager I would run into the issue as previously stated.

After looking at everything else I finally took a look at the default keyboard for debian (/etc/default/keyboard) and found that it was "pc105" rather than the plain PC keyboard "pc104" (or pc101).

I know, you are all think "well duh...!" but I didn't know that. After changing the keyboard and rebooting everything started to work fine.

Stupid keyboard layouts.


---UPDATE---
So, I was right but I was wrong. It looks like in Virt-Manager they removed the default keymap for the new guest machines. If you go and delete the current display and add a new one you can uncheck "Keymap [] same as host" and input "en-us". This should fix the issue. (I hope)

1 comment:

  1. Almost ripped off my hair trying to solve this :D Good thing you pointed out it's in the settings under Display.

    ReplyDelete